black panther06 Mar 2018
this post is just space to collect thoughts and think pieces i read or see or hear from other people
- loved shuri. young black woman leading tech? yas.
- love how present romance and love was without being central or driving action.
- hated that shuri appeared to be a solo technologist every time we see her (except the first time we see her in her lab).
- hated how t’challa, an outsider, decided what oakland needed at the end of the movie. still operating under a settler colonial logic.
thoughts from other people
- the ending was trash. the UN?! really?!?! that’s one of the ways they chose to intervene?
- loved the surfacing of the reality of the complexity between ab and nab.
- i like that wakandans chose to reject killmonger’s violence, though they agreed that they should be helping the world
- overly simplified perfect resource. they don’t at all address the issues of extraction nor of the processes it takes to turn a resource into useful material. they do talk about miners (one of the tribes is a miner tribe), but they don’t at all address how that tribe relates to the rest of the tribes. are we to assume that they’re just fine being miners?
- an advanced country like wakanda had both marketplace and underground city environments. both/and, not either/or.
words / writing / post-processing