emergent strategy group agreements
02 Jan 2019
these agreements come from adrienne maree brown’s emergent strategy, published in 2017.
- Listen from the inside out, or listen from the bottom up (a feeling in your gut matters!);
- Engage Tension, Don’t Indulge Drama;
- W.A.I.T.—Why Am I Talking?
- Make Space, Take Space—a post-ableist adaptation of step up, step back - to help balance the verbose and the reticent
- Confidentiality—take the lessons, leave the details;
- Be open to learning;
- Be open to someone else speaking your truth;
- Building, not selling—when you speak, converse, don’t pitch;
- Yes/and, both/and;
- Value the process as much as, if not more than, you value the outcomes;
- Assume best intent; attend to impact;
- Self care and community care—pay attention to your bladder, pay attention to your neighbors