- i love people and i prioritize face to face interaction over all else.
- i control my devices; they do not control me.
- all the tools and technologies i use are in service of my vision (which includes me, my communities, and the planet)
- my tools and practices are here to support me and people in my communities, particularly in the process of turning our thoughts and dreams into reality.
- there are a ton of implications of this stance.
protocol (aka the tl;dr)
- my (fluid) communication protocol hierarchy:
- face2face > video call > phone call > voice message via imessage > hand-written letters > SMS or internet text messages > email
- i have almost all my notifications off on all my devices. i check in on them when it makes sense for me.
- i try not to read new emails before 12p. the exception is if i’m working with people on something that is urgent. this allows me to maintain a pro-active mindset for my most productive hours, rather than a reactive one.
- i may send emails before 12p. (this doesn’t contradict the above bullet).
- i try get to inbox zero on friday afternoons.
- i tech sabbath (usually sundown friday to sundown saturday) at least 2x/month.
update to this coming soon, but feel free to check out the thinking from my previous communication protocol for some insights, many of which i still hold true.