2018 In Review03 Jan 2019
layout: post title: ‘year in review: 2018’ date: ‘2019-01-03T08:24:00-04:00’ tags:
i ran or co-ran a ton of stuff last year. it’s important to note that i set a goal in my 2017 annual reflection retreat to facilitate 100 meetings. some of those workshops and experiments include…
- a 3h workshop on enoughness with caroline howe
- a 3h workshop on whiteness and power in urban planning with danya sherman for lily song’s multiple miami’s workshop
- two one-week rays of light prototypes with danielle coates-connor
- a three-evening [unleashing alternative futures iap workshop] with grant williams via colab
- an imagination workshop for a self-driving car project of WRI
- facilitating the self-determination narrative summer fellowship (my first fellowship) via colab
- ran ‘the alternative futures of libraries and archives’ at MIT with radical libraries and archivists
- “train the facilitators” with multicultural teaching institute facilitators in advance of their conference
- started a radio show, colab radio on air, at MIT’s wmbr. also began 2nd season with a co-host (dj soco aka morgan auguillard).
- a collective courage workshop for ujima
things expanded, deepened or iterated on
- facilitated 1.5 day leadership team retreat at grist.org (co-facilitated with alexis frasz)
- facilitated 1 day full staff team retreat for grist.org
- 4-week personal storytelling for social change workshop with the prx podcast garage, dudley cafe, and the pao arts center
- ecosystems of care: pilot for anti-patriarchy time-travel mouse.
- first full moon circle. at grant and jenny’s on afropunk saturday. dave madan, grant (co-holder), jenny, and me.
- started black sci-fi book club video series with reed jordan and bernadette merkle joined
- jp queer movie night. jay lamotte and mike leyba and me.
- queer full moon circle w/ leo at old oak dojo
- public #thismooncycle routine experiment (followed gibrán’s lead; want to do again for 2019)
- started roommate beginning anew practice
- began organizing ‘the upstarts’ - a parallel to consultant coffee
- avatar + craft night with crystal, seth, and jonah
- meadowbrook schools: facilitating group conversations about identity and race [sort above]
what did i start
- the formation project
- first float session
- family tree work
- jp queer movie night
what went well
- hit my goal of facilitating 100 meetings
what did i learn?
- i like working with students
- i like giving talks
- i like to work with groups i can facilitate with over multiple sessions (ptop, 4-week ps4sc)
- i still like coaching and it seems valuable to others still
- i’m beginning to feel the value in bi-weekly and monthly things (continuing to develop grasp of things at lower frequency but high depth)
- how to teach mindfulness to k-12 humans
- i love babies. 3 were born this year in my life (asa, alvie, leah). 2 last year (abraham, apollo). jayden is 8.
- as i get older, annual rituals are way important.
- 4th of july in maine
- 2nd family weekend in maine
- lamb roast
- cider quest
- monthly rituals are also becoming important
- roommate dinner + beginning anew
- bullet journal setup + room clean
- serious writing only works for me in long chunks
- facilitation of a lot of things makes me learn a lot
- i most often facilitate: organizational development, team-building, difficult conversations, identity (notably race, but not exclusively)
what didn’t go well
- oflc contract (failed)
- started but never got off the ground (wakanda tarot deck, audio storytelling platform with rajesh and david benjamin, SHIFTcities job, DUSP home groups)
- never got started: organizing EL men, involvement in harvard sound education conference
- under prioritized connections with fraternity brothers
- lots of opportunities for relationship but i’m mostly not making time for it right now. feels more important to focus on myself, my growth, my work, and my finances.
- traveled a lot and it was super fun and i’ve got to get better at the coming in and out of town. i used to have this down back in my florida days (age 19-21, right around my last 7-year transition) and now i need to learn what’s gonna work at this age and this moment in my life. this is also a part of learning how to be more adaptive (maybe i’m a traveling mystic/shaman/sage?)
quotes for the year
- “No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.” ― Carl Jung
what does all that mean for 2019?
- top level message: transformation. support it.
- babies, especially when they’re little, demand attention in ways that are unpredictable. in order to make time for the babies/kids in my life, i’m going to have to develop much more dynamic structures. “strong structures, loosely held.” (a play on “strong beliefs, loosely held.”)
- i want to focus on personal storytelling, pre- and post-patriarchy x time travel, reading and producing afrofuturist work (including black sci-fi), neighborhood community-building, men’s work, and self-and-community development
- say no to things that fall outside of those lanes
- move away from facilitating one-off engagements. move towards recurring or on-going engagements. this supports transformation.
- move towards building on what works/gets results. move away from first-time experiments.
- collaborate with more folks of color.
- mentor more young folks of color.
- release no meeting day. seems not functional while working 1/2 time job and consulting outside of that.
- being more prepared for traveling. that means getting a set of stuff that’s pretty much just for traveling. (s/o to annemarie for taking my thinking one layer farther by suggesting i actually just have 1-2 sets of clothes that stay in my suitcase so that i don’t have to think about what’s in there when i pack). i expect this to reduce my travel headaches (forgetting things, taking forever to pack) by one million percent.
- support transformation wherever and whenever possible.
- make/do more art.
- make my list of commitments public on my website
- 2 fridays / month are tech sabbaths (sundown friday to sundown sat)
- in order to keep my mornings for deep work/flow/focus, before 12p
- do not check or send email
- do not check social media
- plan to end all meetings i facilitate at :20 or :50. begin this in february.
- write a poem or blog post daily.
- don’t eat while working (i.e. no working meetings)
- never answer “how are you” shallowly. i can either (a) answer for real, (b) politely, explicitly abstain from answering, or (c) offer to answer a different, more specific question (how’s my day? how am i right now?)
- meditate: 20 mins/day + 1h session/week (the 1h session can replace one of the 20 minute days)
- use a 2-hour chunk of time on fridays to schedule upcoming meetings and get to inbox zero
- on the first saturday of every month:
- clean my room
- process and pay my bills
- set up the new month in my bullet journal
- review personal and business finances
words / writing / post-processing
XXXw / XXmin / XXmin