facilitation resources08 Oct 2019
- An Introduction to Popular Education from the Community Capacitation Center of Multnomah County Health Department
- the why, when, and how of successful retreats - Just Works Consulting
- Where does it Hurt?: Health and Disharmony in Organizational Ecosystems - Ora Grodsky
- Facilitative Leadership for Social Change - How to plan a successful meeting
- the cycle of liberation — Bobbie Harro
- matrix of domination/oppression - patricia hill collins
- culture shift: from blame to accountability – the systems thinker
- circle of trust touchstones
- emergent strategy group agreements
- sister corita’s (and john cage’s) 10 classroom rules
check in questions
- What is the story behind your name?
- If you got a tattoo, what kind would you get and where would you put it?
- What would be on the menu for your ultimate birthday dinner?
- What view would you love to have from your room?
- What celebrity would you choose to have dinner with?
- What would you like to be famous for someday?
- Would you do anything differently if you didn’t care what people thought?
- What would you like to learn to do someday?
- What new name would you choose for yourself?
- If you could attend school in another country, which would you choose?
- Would you accept the opportunity to live forever?
- Who would you like to trade places with for a month?
- Where would you most like to travel?
- What event in the past or future would you like to witness in person?
- Which famous athlete would you love to meet?
- Will you discipline your children in the same way as you are disciplined?
- What is one fear would you like to conquer?
- What is the perfect age?
- What makes you laugh the hardest?
- What would you like to be doing in ten years?
- Which of your teachers has had the greatest impact on you?
- What kind of party would you throw if you had an unlimited budget?
- Do you have any habits you would like to give up?
- Would you rather be a great musician, athlete, scientist, artist, politician, or writer?
- How would your plans for the future change, if you knew you would inherit a fortune?
- What one question would you love to ask a psychic about the future?
- What should be the role of parents during the teen years?
- What special talent would you like to have?
- What superpower/skill would you like to have?
- How would you solve the problem of drunk driving?
- How would you solve the problem of homelessness?
- What are the reasons you believe, or don’t believe, in God?
- Is hunting animals for sport right or wrong?
- What personal trait has gotten you in the most trouble?
- Is there a difference between who you think you are and how others perceive you?
- What will be the best and scariest parts about leaving home?
- How would a woman president be different from a man?
- What would you save first if your house caught fire?
- What will be the best and worst things about being an adult?
- What one thing would you like to learn how to cook?
- Who are your role models?
- What is the most significant problem facing the world?
other good questions
- share something that consistently makes you laugh
- share your favorite poem and why that’s the one
- 4x4 (groups of four finding four things in common)
- youth development network: icebreakers & energizers. make sure to look at the backpocket guide, too.
emergent strategy principles
- source material: http://adriennemareebrown.net/2013/12/14/principles-of-emergent-processes-in-facilitation/
- image created by Chelsea Matilda Robinson. found via: https://explorationsinthedivinefeminine.com/2018/04/21/sitting-in-a-cauldron-of-magic/
retributive, restorative, and transformative justice
- adrienne maree brown: What is/isn’t transformative justice?
- a resource hub about ending violence. It offers an introduction to transformative justice. Created by Mariame Kaba and designed by Joseph Lublink, the site includes selected articles, audio-visual resources, curricula, and more.
- white supremacy culture by Tema Okun
difficult conversations resources
- We Have to Talk: A Step-By-Step Checklist for Difficult Conversations By Judy Ringer
- Difficult Conversations Difficult Conversations, by Douglas Stone, Bruce Patton, and Sheila Heen Handout: Pages 1-5
slide deck Ladder of Inference Toolshero - Ladder of Inference, 7 steps during a decision making process: https://www.toolshero.com/decision-making/ladder-of-inference/ Using the Ladder of Inference – https://personalmasterycoaching.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/rethinking-thinking-using-the-ladder-of-inference/ The systems Thinker: https://thesystemsthinker.com/the-ladder-of-inference/ Mindtools: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_91.htm Constructive Discord / Functional Conflict https://www.isixsigma.com/implementation/teams/constructive-discord-the-role-of-conflict-in-building-high-performance-teams/ https://www.bates-communications.com/bates-blog/bid/96486/Functional-Conflict-The-Secret-Ingredient-of-High-Performing-Teams